We are fully aligned with the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals and we encourage our suppliers, customers and partners to join us.
Our purpose as a business is based on three pillars: people, planet and profit. We believe our future viability as a business depends not only on our financial performance but also on:
- our role in the local community, supply chain and wider society as a responsible organisation, and;
- our role in mitigating, and building resilience to, the climate and environmental emergency.
Our commitments to deliver on the above include:
As an employer
Crystal Doors’ Wellbeing Fund offers staff who have been employed at Crystal Doors for longer than 12 months an annual one-off payment of up to £150 to put towards their own personal development and wellbeing.
As a community stakeholder
Every Crystal Doors employee, including our senior management team, is a Rochdale resident living on average 3 miles from our factory. We set aside 2% of our annual turnover to support charitable activities, most of them local to Rochdale.
As a custodian of the environment
We are strongly committed to protecting the environment and continually improving our environmental performance, informed specifically by our industry-leading plan to achieve net zero emissions, as well as taking a leading role in the business community to encourage wider action.
As a customer and supplier
We value a close working relationship with our key customers and suppliers. Informed by our net zero plan, from 2021 we began an active engagement programme to encourage and support our end-to-end supply chain to reduce greenhouse gas emissions reductions and improve environmental resilience.
Our focus goals:
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Climate change is affecting every country on every continent. It is disrupting national economies and affecting lives. Weather patterns are changing, sea levels are rising, and weather events are becoming more extreme.
– By achieving net zero as early as possible we’re doing our part to limit the global temperature rise to below 2°C.
– We’re working hard to encourage our customers and suppliers to set their own zero carbon goals, and we will not work with anyone who can’t demonstrate progress from 2022.
– We dedicate time and resources to promote the benefits of zero carbon to other small businesses like ours.
Ensure sustainable production and consumption patterns
Economic and social progress over the last century has been accompanied by environmental degradation that is endangering the very systems on which our future development and our very survival depend. If we don’t act to change our consumption and production patterns, we will cause irreversible damage to our environment.
– 99% of our waste is recycled or recovered. Our biggest waste material is MDF, all of which is recovered as biomass for heating our factory.
– We’re investing in R&D to find and develop alternative materials for our products that support the circular economy. From 2023 we will begin developing and introducing circular economy products into our portfolio.
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy
An energy system that relies on burning fossil fuels is responsible for driving climate change and damaging our health and the environment. At the same time, global electricity use is rising rapidly. The world needs to triple its investment in sustainable energy infrastructure per year.
– We’re supporting the transition by generating our own clean power through our 246kW rooftop solar array, and adding electric vehicles to our fleet.
– We’ve taken radical measures to improve our energy efficiency. Our building has gone from a D rating to A+, making it one of the most energy efficient buildings in the UK.
– The remaining electricity we use from the grid is sourced from 100% verified renewables.
End poverty in all its forms everywhere
We work with partners to improve people’s lives in the Rochdale community and we support the Sanctuary Trust, a registered charity which provides help to the homeless.
Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all
We support the health and happiness of our team through our Wellbeing Fund, which offers employees an annual payment of up to £150 to put towards their own personal development and wellbeing.
Ensure inclusive, equitable education and lifelong learning
Managing Director Richard Hagan is an enterprise advisor at our local college and we support ongoing learning in the workplace, for example through our carbon literacy training.
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
We are committed to a gender diverse workforce and do our part to champion diversity in STEM education and careers.
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
We monitor our water consumption and have minimised pollutants going into our wastewater by removing VOCs in the paint we use.
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work
We’re committed to creating decent, rewarding jobs for local people. All of our staff live in our local community and we support apprenticeships and student placements.
Promote sustainable industry and foster innovation
We have invested heavily in the Fourth Industrial Revolution and Managing Director Richard Hagan is a Fellow of the IN4.0 Group, which supports small manufacturers in our region to adopt digital technology.
Reduce inequality within and among countries
We’re proud of the rich culture we have at Crystal Doors. 15% of our team is minority ethnic and we’re a disability confident employer, with all staff competent in basic sign language.
Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
We’re a vocal advocate of revitalising Rochdale through sustainable development. We promote active travel for staff and support local greening projects like community gardens.
Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources
We have taken action to minimise our impact on aquatic habitats by removing VOC pollutants from the paint we use, so it doesn’t end up in our waste water.
Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, land degradation and biodiversity loss
We’re committed to supporting the Northern Forest and we’re working with City of Trees in Greater Manchester to reforest our region.
Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
We promote a just transition to a sustainable economy, take part in national campaigns and engage with our local and regional politicians to make sure our voice is heard.